Friday, July 3, 2015

A Kiss in Time


Coming off of my 5th Wave high, I decided to go with something a little less "murdery."  Looking to keep it light, I perused through the box of book goods I smuggled home from my library for the summer and happened upon A Kiss in Time.  While it's not normally a book type that I seek out (fractured fairy tale, love and all that stuff), I always need to keep expanding my horizons so that I can be best prepared to recommend different books to all of the different types of readers that come to my library.  So here's the scoop - Jack is your stereotypical spoiled rich kid.  He keeps getting into trouble at home, so rather than deal with him, his parents send him off on a tour of Europe with his friend Travis.  Jack turns out to be not only a troublemaker at home, but also a pretty terrible representative of the U.S. whilst traveling abroad. When he's rude to a French concierge, the concierge decides to exact his revenge by giving him out of the way directions to a beach that Jack and Travis are trying to get to.  Once they finally reach their destination, they end up walking into a place where time seems to have stood still...FOR 300 YEARS.  They happen upon a castle, notice that all of the "actors" in this place seem to be on a sleep break, and continue on to see her, the absolutely beautiful Talia, sleeping just as soundly as all of the others in this place.  Little does he know, Talia and the rest of the castle are sleeping because of a curse put upon her by a jealous witch.  After checking her out for a creepily long time, Jack decides to kiss her.  Now let me just say this.  I don't recommend kissing unconscious people.  It's called assault.  Just sayin'.  However, Jack kisses her and I think you know what happens next....she wakes up, slaps him and calls him a creep.  Just kidding!  She awakens thinking that he is her one true love because the curse that was put upon her says that a kiss from her true love will be the only way she wakes up.  What happens next is similar to the scene from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure....you know, when they meet the princesses from the past and their dad wants to put them in the iron maiden (cue guitar riff).  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you're probably not 37 like me, so Google it (just ask mom or dad first).  While I normally wouldn't seek this book out, I enjoyed it. I wish that Talia would have been more of a strong female instead of following some dude around that she just met, but that's how these stories usually go.  However,  I often find that when I read books that I think I normally wouldn't like, I end up liking them...craziness!  The author, Alex Flinn, also wrote Beastly so if you enjoyed that book or saw the movie, you will most definitely like this book.  If you're looking for something light and fun to read this summer, try A Kiss in Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment